Sunday, January 12, 2014

Out of the Attic

My sister-in-law (who is also one of my best friends from high school) recently gave me a box of clothes that belonged to her mother. Her mom had attended Fashion Institute of Technology, though when I knew her she was an English teacher by profession. Several dresses in the box were made by her, probably in the 70's. I knew that a few would become great refashions. I started with this one - I LOVE the print of this fabric.
Great print - just needs a few quick updates.
 However, the long sleeves and length needed to go. This became a super-quick refashion. Also, it was a bonus that it fit through the bust, waist and hips.

I used my seam ripper to unpick the sleeves -- took about 10 minutes.
Bye sleeves. I hope to use you in another project some day.
Then, I just pinned all around and sewed those raw edges down.

Next, all that was left was trimming off the bottom of the dress. I did that on my dress form and followed the line of the pattern. Luckily, it was even. And while I usually don't like hemming, I knew I had to do it. So I followed it over twice, pressing and pinning as I went and then ran it through the machine. And done!

Cut, but not hemmed.

From the back.

The finished product. I'm practicing the pose I see other bloggers doing. It's weird.

Post-ponytail. I look a mess, but the dress is cute.

After - Fabulous for today.
Before - Fabulous for it's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment